Discounted Hotel Prices For Cancer Patients



Being diagnosed with cancer sucks! Treatments suck even more! Then in additional to all that many people have to find flights and stay in very expensive hotels during treatment and follow up PET Scans. Well, I actually have some good news!

Many hotels offer a medical discount if you are a patient going in for treatment or follow up exams. For most of my treatment I was either in the hospital or staying at my Grandmothers house in Boston. I was very fortunate to have a family member who lived near my cancer center. However, Grandma got sick this year and had to move out of the city and now lives with my fabulous aunt in Texas. This means I have no place to stay when I have early morning exams at Dana Farber.

I fly from Florida up to Boston whenever I need to see my doctors. My parents live in Massachusetts but about 2 1/2 hours away from Dana Farber. This time around I have a PET scan at 8 am and that means I would have to leave my parents home at 5 the latest and then complete a long day of exams then drive 2 1/2 hours back to Western Mass.....not something I think my body can handle. So for the first time I need to stay at a hotel.

Hotels in Boston are extremely expensive, not to mention there is a huge event in the city that week. I'm not in town to "party" or site see I'm there to do something I don't enjoy at all. The last thing I want to do is pay several hundred dollars to stay at a hotel so I can go to doctors appointments all day. So I started calling around and asked if people had any special rates for patients of Dana Farber.....Can you believe it they all said YES!

The Double Tree in Boston is normally $190 but with the discount is $159
The Best Western in Boston is normally $214 but with the discount is $159
The Ramada in Boston is normally $84 but with the discount is $79

The discounts aren't HUGE and honestly I think they could do a little better for those who are undergoing treatment BUT it is something. So if you are traveling to receive treatments at a hospital or cancer center and need to stay in a hotel be sure to ask if they have a medical rate.

4 comments:

Jettychan said...

Meaghan, I don't know if you have seen the Aid area of my website but in there I found Joe's House and here are the results I found for Dana Faber: http://www.joeshouse.org/default.aspx?tabid=55&state=Massachusetts
Some pretty awesome things, one is even free if you are staying longer than 3 days. If anyone needs more links to these kinds of super cool things, check out my site: www.jettysbrainbook.com and if you find something cool that I haven't listed, just let me know and I will post it! Love Love Jettychan

Meaghan said...

Thanks for the comment Jetty! I actually also have links to Joe's House and they are GREAT! However, some people need to stay just one night and these place tend to fill up quickly. If people can't get to Joe's house or prefer to stay in a hotel they can get discounts too....just a small piece of info I didn't know back in the day. I also have link to free flights, super cool and I used them often!

Love you tons!

Meaghan

SoCalWendie said...

Hi Meaghan, hope all is well with you! Much love XOOX

Chiropractic Saint Paul said...

Its good you just supporting Cancer patients in good and unique you adopted good way to support them good.