Fellow Fighter Kimberly Doyle-Eberhard

My Awakening – Kimberly Doyle-Eberhard

In July of 1998 I had my first daughter, Faith. I was a single mom but very determined that she and I were going to have the best of everything. I would work hard to give her everything I never got as a child. After her birth, I was well on my way until I hit a big, brick wall.

At my 6 week post partum visit the OB/Gyn informed me that my thyroid felt enlarged and referred me to a Endocrinologist. Rather than hesitate, I made an appointment quickly. My first appointment was the regular, blood work, ultrasound, etc. The physician told me that there were multiple goiters and he wanted to monitor my TSH level and do a needle biopsy. A few weeks went by and I went in for the biopsy. It felt like a hundred years waiting on the results. Good news, it was negative. So, the plan was to continue monitoring my TSH and do ultrasounds every six months.

We continued that plan until 2002. Late 2002 I had my normal follow up. I told the physician that it was starting to feel like I had something caught in my throat. We knew the largest goiter (golf ball size) had been growing, very slowly. So, we made the decision to go in and remove the entire thyroid. We scheduled surgery and in December 2002 I had my entire thyroid removed. I went in for my regular post-op visit on December 17, 2002 and my life was forever changed. My physician walked into the room as white as a ghost. Here, on my 29th birthday, he had to tell me that the pathology came back showing cancer. I sat in complete shock almost thinking he was joking. I kept waiting for him to say “just kidding”. Instead, he took his time explaining what our course of action was going to be. I was sitting in this room all alone thinking about my daughter. It felt like everything was closing in and I was on the verge of collapse. Then, something changed, my fight instinct took over and I decided this was not going to get the best of me. I had a daughter to raise and I was going to be around for her.

So, we scheduled internal radiation in January of 2003. I had to go off of my medications and begin a low iodine diet. Radiation for the thyroid is very different than any other. You take a radioactive pill as an in-patient. This pill make you, the patient, radioactive. You are put in a room that looks like quarantine and the nurses and doctors are only allowed limited contact. I was in the hospital for 2 days. Upon being released, I was not allowed around my daughter for almost 14 days. It is imperative that the radiation not be passed to pregnant women or children. Being away from my girl was harder than the actual diagnosis and treatment. I had never felt so alone in my life.

The next few years included blood tests every few weeks and Nuclear Thyroid Uptake Scans every six months. Each time, everything looked okay so we stayed on the regular course of treatment. Synthroid 200 mcg.

In March 2007 I had my second daughter, Grace. Throughout my pregnancy we carefully monitored my TSH and I never had to change my dose. We did have to put off my scan for 2006 due to the pregnancy.

In September 2007 I had to see a new doctor because we moved to Colorado. During my first new patient appointment we went through all of my history. I also had new blood work drawn. The bloods work came back showing elevated levels of thyroglubin. The doctor ordered and ultrasound. This was the first ultrasound I had since removing my thyroid. A few days later I received a call that the doctor wanted me to come in and discuss the results. At that appointment I was told that there was a mass in my throat and it was in an area that can’t be biopsied. We scheduled a Nuclear Thyroid Scan to see if this mass would uptake any radiation. We did the scan, got the results and thankfully there was no uptake. So, the advice of the physician was to get another ultrasound in six months.

We moved to west Virginia in May 2008. I immediately scheduled an appointment with an Endocrinologist. At my first appointment we did an ultrasound. I have to tell you, I was not pleased with this physician at all. He took literally one minute to do the ultrasound and then said, “I’ll see you in a year”. I left his office distressed. If the physicians in Colorado could see this mass, how is it gone? So, I have spent the last year contemplating what to do and hoping that this WV physician is right.

Rather than put my life on the line I have scheduled this years appointment at UVA in Virginia. I am taking all of the films from Colorado and all of my past medical records. I am certain we will do an ultrasound. I just have to pray that there hasn’t been any growth. If there has and I waited a year for this second opinion, I will be devastated. The appointment is June 3rd and I am praying that the mass is merely scar tissue and no a recurrence.

I thought I was living life before the cancer. But, in hind sight I see I wasn’t living, I was just breathing. Although cancer is not a mere medical condition, I feel blessed that it opened my eyes to see the wonder that is in front of me. I live each day now as if it were my last. I love deeper, harder and more unconditional. I appreciate things that I used to disregard. Most importantly, my relationship with my girls is key to my continued growth and strength. Now I just want to be able to open up and share my story so others can see that the “C” word doesn’t have to be a death sentence, it can be an awakening.


Meaghan said...

Amazing journey you have been on! I cannot agree with you more regarding cancer opening your eyes. While I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone I know that it has bettered my life. I appreciate every breath I take, every flower i smell and ever hug I receive. Never give up fighting for your survival and you will be in my heart & prayers!

nomo wino daph said...

God Bless you! Your story has brought me to tears. It's like I can hear your words. I thank you for sharing. We def. need to live each day is if it's last, we just NEVER know what His plan is for us. Thank you for pointing that out.

I pray for AWESOME news in June. You can count on my prayers.
May God richly bless you & your girls!!

Brandy said...

I too was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer and had my radioactive iodine treatment 6 months ago. Although I tried and tried to get my endocrinologist to have me admitted to be under quarantine, our state laws make it so that you have to have a really high dose of the RAI to be admitted for even a day. I have two small children at home so I had to stay at my mom's house, which made me nervous for her because she has leukemia. I agree that the hardest part of my cancer diagnosis was being away from my children. Mine had spread to many lymph nodes. If I were you I'd find a good surgeon and just have the lump removed if they can't biopsy it. I don't trust biopsies because all of mine came back negative. The cancer wasn't found until surgery.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

I wish you the best! Thank you for sharing your story.

Debbie said...

Wow. What a griping story. I am so thankful you shared it with us.

o2bhiking said...

Keep living each day, Kimberly. Hoping for continued good health for you.

Brenda said...

I had thyroid cancer 10 years ago! It feels good to say that! I am thankful for each new day and that I am here to enjoy it! I was so amazed at the kindness and service that everyone did for me. It made me realize how blessed I am. Hang in there! Hugz!

Anonymous said...

cheap wedding gowns,
discount bridal gowns,
China wedding dresses,
discount designer wedding dresses,
China wedding online store,
plus size wedding dresses,
cheap informal wedding dresses,
junior bridesmaid dresses,
cheap bridesmaid dresses,
maternity bridesmaid dresses,
discount flower girl gowns,
cheap prom dresses,
party dresses,
evening dresses,
mother of the bride dresses,
special occasion dresses,
cheap quinceanera dresses,
hot red wedding dresses

Grace said...

Desiccated thyroid is naturally formulated to effectively assist the thyroid gland in the performance of its vital function. You need natural thyroid remedy like porcine, because it can help reduce the accumulation of certain chemical in our body from some of the foods we eat.