Cards By Amy's Angels


This is a GREAT site dedicated to bringing hope, joy and encouragement to those fighting cancer. If you know someone who has been diagnosed with cancer you absolutely have to read this blog and take advantage of a great opportunity. I have asked Kelley, the creator, to tell you about her project and blog. Please take a minute to read what she wrote, you will be happy you did

When I began blogging, never in my life did I think that I’d be asked to write a guest post on a blog that I read on a regular basis! Thank you, Meaghan, for letting me be a part of your blog. This is very exciting! Now I really have to be on my best behavior.

If you knew me, you’d know that I’m a person who is notorious for starting a project, but never finishing it. If you looked at the basket next to my couch you’d see half crocheted scarves & partially completed cross stitch projects. In fact, right now, in my dining room are 4 canoe paddles that I need to=2 0personalize for the summer camp I used to work at. I’ve had these paddles for 2 months.

When I decided to start the Cards by Amy’s Angels project, I knew that this was one project that I would for sure see through from start to finish.

What is this card project? Oh. Meaghan’s friends & blog readers—this is probably the coolest thing ever. OK, besides the invention of the DQ Blizzard that uses Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies. But I mean it. This is cool stuff.
You see, my friend Amy was diagnosed with breast cancer last October. Like some people who are diagnosed with cancer—she had no symptoms. No family history. There were no light bulbs going off in the doctor’s head saying “Hey…wait. Could this be cancer?” Nope. None of that. You see, like so many young women (Amy was 33 at the time of diagnosis), when a lump is found they’re told, “Don’t worry, it’s probably nothing. Just a cyst. Or fat.” Just want you want to hear at the doctor’s office. That you have fat boobs.

But Amy’s lump did turn into something. A big Stage 2 Breast Cancer something. A cancer that was es trogen based. A cancer that caused her and her husband of less than a year to make serious decisions about children and future birth control options. After a year of chemo treatments, radiation and all the other side effects that go along with cancer, Amy is now cancer free. Her friends and family feel that Amy got through this because of the knowledge of her doctors, the research that has been done, the support of her friends and family, as well as her faith. One thing that made Amy really feel better wasn’t just the anti-nausea medication or the trip to McDonald’s after chemo.

It was cards in the mail from her friends, family and even people she didn’t know personally. Can you image? Something as simple as a card made Amy's day a little brighter. This is the basis for the Card’s by Amy’s Angels project. We want to send cards to people who are fighting cancer. Not just breast cancer. Any cancer. While the people receiving the cards probably don’t even know us, that’s OK. We just want them to know that we are thinking of them, saying a prayer for them, and are sending them a homemade card to make their day a little brighter.



Yes. That’s right. Handmade cards. I know! The girl who is still working on the same cross stitch project that she started in 1998 is going to make cards. I surprise even myself sometimes.

This is where you come in. If you know someone who is fighting cancer, we want to hear about it. We want you to send us their name, address and how you know them. We then use this information to write a personalized note in the card. We then mail the card out to this person and the chain reaction begins. They get the card, they smile really big, they brag to their friends and family about how you were kind enough to think of them, and that in turn makes you feel good. You then tell your friends and family about our project and soon more requests come into us which starts the process all over again.



Who doesn’t like a little recognition? Come on….you know you do! This is almost as good as getting a big gold star on your math quiz in 5th grade. But only it’s more personal and more than just your mom knows about it.
So, here is what we need you to do. Pass this onto everyone you know: http://cardsbyamysangels.blogspot.com and tell them about this project. Tell them a bout how these ladies in Minnesota are sending out handmade cards to people with cancer and they’re doing it for free.

Oh. Did I forget to mention that part? Yeah. The cards are free. Anywhere in the world. That’s how we roll.
Look, the bottom line is cancer is a pain in the ass. Not only does it take a physical toll on your body, but an emotional one as well. If a handmade card can make someone’s day a little brighter, don’t you agree that this is the least a friend or family member can do? Because let’s face it, a pan of lasagna is nice, and a ride to chemo is great, but a card—well, that’s just fabulous.



We like fabulous.

11 comments:

Brandy said...

This is really amazing. What an inspiration!

Wendy said...

Thanks for letting me know about this!

Marshmallow Circus said...

Great cause!

Lynn said...

Amazing....

Lindsay said...

this is so amazing! So inspirational!!!

Shanda said...

What a wonderful idea! I have lost both of my parents to cancer. I know first hand how powerful encouraging words can be - it seems they come right on the perfect days too. Keep it up!!

Pseudo said...

Amazing. Im going to check it out. I also left a link to you on my helping hands project/sistmas card

WheresMyAngels said...

That is a great idea. I work for an organization that supports people with disabilities. I'm often looking for projects for people in our day program. If you would be interesting in us making some cards and sending them, please email me at wheresmyangels@gmail.com

Sandra said...

What an amazing thing to do for people.

Anonymous said...

Found your blog through SITS, and as a Cervical Cancer survivor, I'm really inspired and overwhelmed by your blog. Keep up the fight!

Nia, Lia, Tia said...

Terrific.... So many are in need. I was thinking exactly that yesterday with SITSmas! I decided if I were to win, give it to someone that it would make them smile... great great idea.... how can I help push this idea as well as give!