Social Media & Social Good




Cancer Sucks! With that said social media has helped make cancer suck a little less. Stuck in the hospital, you're not alone you can use your phone or laptop and Tweet or check out Facebook. Doesn't matter what time of day or where you are, social media provides a way to stay connected.  You don't have to worry about germs, cold, weakness or time of day, social media allows you to maintain and create relationships with all sorts of people.

I know this first hand! During my cancer treatments the laptop became my best friend. Television got old quickly and didn't provide the human interaction I longed for.  That's when I popped open my laptop and started checking out my friends on Facebook.  I could look at pictures and see what everyone was up to.  The status updates allowed me the unique opportunity to know what friends and family where doing on any given day even though i was too sick to be there with them.  I could even play games like Scrabble and Bejewelled against friends in other states. Facebook kept me in the loop and helped prevent me from falling into deep loneliness and depression.

Then there was blogging!  I started this blog as my free therapy.  Writing about my battle, fears, anxieties and hopes gave me an outlet I had been searching for.  My blog allowed me to connect with others who battled cancer. Then I started learning more about all types of cancers, nonprofits that help and endless resources. Blogging helped me pull myself out of the cancer fog and back into the living.

Twitter became my good friend a bit later, when I had my kidney removed in March 2009.  Because of intense internal radiation I could not have a laproscopic surgery. A rib was removed in order to take out my left kidney and that meant lots of bed rest. Here I was again stuck in a hospital bed with no one to talk to.  My body didnt' care that it was 4 am, I was awake and bored.  But I knew that social media was my friend and always awake. I started exploring more on Twitter and was blown away at how happy it made me. There were thousands of people up at 4 am and they were happy to chat. I could tweet with other survivors, those who had the same procedure, people who wanted to support me..it was GREAT!

Social media provides so much for those battling cancer. You can now find others who share your battle, talk with experts, access helpful resources and even play games. This is why I founded Spirit Jump through social media. I knew that there were so many like me who were reaching out through social media, looking for human interaction. Some people criticize social media for hindering human interaction. However, for those battling cancer often times human interaction is not an option. Social media allows cancer fighters to stay connected, fight the loneliness and LIVE!


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,I am Judine, 30 years old. Our son has Hodgkins cancer and I know it is so important to stay "connected" with the rest of the world while being in hospital. Even for Lethen who is ten. He was diagnosed in June 2008 and since then hospital visits and chemo means: Laptop and cellphone. He will be undergoing a bonemarrow transplant the end of this month and then he would not be able to go to school for 4 months. Most of his work and classwork he will get from his teacher through skype... thank goodness for technology. O, I wish you all the best in hospital. Lethan came out Friday. He had chemo........again.... my husband and I are going for tattoos on Wednesday. We got nice idees from the internet for cancer hope symbols. think of you
Judine

Meaghan said...

Judine:

Do you know about my nonprofit organization, Spirit Jump. Our members send cards and small gifts to those battling cancer in hopes of lifting their spirits. We would LOVE to get cards & gifts to your son. I also got a cancer inspired tattoo after my treatments and wrote a post on this blog with tons of tattoo pictures from lots of people who were inspired to get tattoos due to cancer.

Please feel free to send me an email so we can chat more meaghan@spiritjump.com and visit our website www.spiritjump.org

Lots of love and prayers to you and your family!

xoxo
Meaghan

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post; I battled this terrible disease 20 years ago and all of this media was not yet available - it would have been a huge help at the time. Bless you and I hope you are winning your fight.

Unknown said...

Hi Meaghan, we are in South Africa, we appreciate your good wishes. Lethan would very much like to become involved with your organisation. It will be exiting for him to send letters,photo's and postcards overseas so as to make somebody happy somewhere. We will very much like to stay in contact with you. Please keep us updated. I am so glad I found your site today. I am sure its early morning there? It is now 22:40 pm, Bloemfontein, South Africa. My husband and I normaly go to sleep very late. You know how it is.... Lethan can not sleep after he has been in hospital for chemo. He is up and around in the house.. so if you are in hospital and need someone to talk to, we are only a button away!
I'll send you a picture of Lethan
XXX
Judine

Meaghan said...

We send cards all over the world! So glad we connected here looking forward to getting an email from you and getting cards to your son :)

Steph said...

Great post!

Steph @ A Grande Life